Monday, July 13, 2009

Tell No One - Book Review

Hey, I finally bought some books. All that browsing finally paid off. I hope.

I couldn't find anything in the literary shelves that appealed to me so I trusted the genres to pull me through. About the only genre that I'm interested in anymore is the crime/mystery genre so I made list of Edgar winners and went to work. First up: Tell No One by Harlan Coben. I'd heard good things about it and Roger Ebert gave a strong review on the movie version so it sounded like something I'd like.

It was merely all right. Lots of twists and turns and the novel stays true to the genre with the required big showdown at the end between the protagonist and antagonist but there seemed to be a lot of little things that just really bothered me. This isn't Coben's first outing but it read more like a first attempt than a seasoned pro. It was just one darn thing after another, with the hero constantly surprised at the latest turn that events were taking. The bad guys were suitably bad but there was the old trope that big business seems more interested in committing felonious acts than turning a profit. Yawn. The prose ran smoothly, the pages turned quickly, and there was a final twist that kept you interested right until the end but after it all seemed like a big, overly-complicated fuss.

It doesn't disappoint but I'm thinking the movie makes for a better book.

No comments:

Post a Comment