Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Another Beer Update

My, my, it's been a couple of months since I've posted anything about brewing beer. Let's remedy that.

I chose a Porter for my Fall beer, sort of a poor man's stout. Dark, not as full-flavored as I'd like, and a little too carbonated so as smooth as I was hoping for either:



The head looks a little punk because I poured it carefully and cold; a little more noise and warmth and the head's has quite bit more presence. A little too foamy, actually. Things smooth out if you let it set for a bit and come to temperature but, honestly, I'd rather have had brewed up a stout; if you're gonna go full-bodied, you might as well go full out.

Still, I'm not entirely disappointed; I did what I wanted to do and that's try something a little different and the results weren't bad. You can't ask for much more than that, can you?

2 comments:

  1. Pete: did you ever pour a Guinness stout into a pint glass and listen to how the sound of a coin rapping on the side of the glass changes with time? After about 5 mins, the initial dull thud changes to a brighter sound. The trick works best with one of those thick 1 pound coins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drank lots of Guinness on the cruise ship.

    ReplyDelete