Thursday, January 29, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Review

The Oscar nominations are out and for the first time as far as I can remember, Clara and I haven't seen all of the nominees. We began to cure this Saturday by seeing Slumdog Millionaire.

Visually stunning and with a compelling soundtrack, Slumdog is a movie like you've probably not seen before, and that's enough, isn't it? The story is Dickensian - it's Oliver Twist in India - so it's traditional in that sense but it's a clear case of style over substance and it's style carries it through. It's positive resolution to what could've been a glum plot makes it a strong contender for best picture. Stay around for the end credits, they're a delight as well.

A wild ride, and highly recommended.

(I'm not sure if we'll see the other best movie nominees; frankly, they leave me a little cold and there are other movies I'd like to see)

No comments:

Post a Comment