Tuesday, August 31, 2010

iPod Shuffle: Random?

I've put my iPhone's iPod on shuffle play for my bought music list and I'm finally learning that this mode, like the universe, isn't entirely random. Every morning when I fire up the iPod, I keep coming across music I heard just the other day. Yeah, yeah, I know, there's an algorithm at work that takes the number of my previous plays and factors them in some how with the current ones and when all the ciphering's done, a tune is spit out. It's supposed to please me, I suppose, but instead it leaves me scratching my head: I just want to work my way through the list in a random way. Why is that seemingly not possible?

I've long suspected there's an intelligence at work behind the scenes of my iPod. This is only more evidence that it's so.

4 comments:

  1. You ask for randomness but instead get order. Is this a sign of intelligence or not? Confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mike, thanks for the concern. A minor, and uninteresting, disruption. Returning to things now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jason. If I ask for order and get randomness, is this evidence of an uncaring iPod? And if my iPod is uncaring, does that imply a caring iPod as well? Or does the iPod simply have a larger plan of which I'm unaware but which will be revealed to me in time? Or is all my speculation just hooey and the iPod is only a gussied up MP3 player?

    ReplyDelete