Monday, February 2, 2009

iTunes Genius Playlists

I switched on the iTunes genius feature and had the program put together a playlist based on Hem's Half Acre. Here's what it came up with:

1. Hem Half Acre
2. Gary Jules Falling Awake
3. Brandi Carlile Turpentine
4. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris This is Us
5. Ben Folds Landed
6. Jackson Browne These Days
7. Annie Lennox Dark Road
8. Dido Don't Leave Home
9. Barenaked Ladies Call and Answer
10. Hem Radiation Vibe
11. Bruce Springsteen One Step Up
12. Joni Mitchell Free Man In Paris
13. Phish Farmhouse
14. Dave Matthews Band Grace Is Gone
15. Wilco I'm The Man Who Loves You
16. Paul Simon The Obvious Child
17. Shawn Colvin I Don't Know Why
18. Steve Winwood The Finer Things
19. Hem Betting On Trains
20. Ben Folds Late
21. Jeff Buckley Lover, You Should Have Come Over
22. Joni Mitchell River
23. Dido Sand In My Shoes
24. Rogue Wave Lake Michigan
25. Cat Power Wild Is the Wind

Other than magic, I have no idea how the program works, but it puts together a fine playlist, finer than I can go on my own.

Just for fun, I had the program put another list together, starting with Laura Veirs' Pink Light. Here's what it came up with:

1. Laur Veirs Pink Light
2. Sonic Youth Reena
3. Hem All That I'm Good For
4. The Decemberists The Gymnast High Above The Ground
5. Cat Power Wild Is The Wind
6. Beck Ramshackle
7. Billy Bragg Must I Paint You a Picture?
8. The White Stripes Little Ghost
9. Rogue Wave Lake Michigan
10. Dave Matthews Band Captain
11. The Band This Wheel's On Fire
12. Sonic Youth Jams Run Free
13. Bonnie Raitt One Belief Away
14. Jeff Buckley Lover You Should Have Come Over
15. Phish Gotta Jibboo
16. Santana Do You Like The Way
17. Joni Mitchell Down To You
18. Jackson Browne For Everyman
19. Jack Johnson F-Stop Blues
20. The Decemberists The Bachelor and The Bride
21. Shawn Colvin I Don't Know Why
22. Hem Leave Me Here
23. Noisettes Scratch Your Name
24. Wilco Radio Cure
25. Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris Rollin' On

Different starting points with some intersections and similar themes yet distinctly different tones. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment