Saturday, August 8, 2009

Anglers Divided Over Florida’s New License Program

A new law in Florida requires a license to fish from shore. I, too, share the desire to fish where I want - which happens, oh, every 10 years or so - without fear of getting busted by The Man. The libertarian in me decries government control of this enjoyable, and often frustrating, activity, but, really, I don't mind too terribly much; it's close to a pay-as-you-go system, the cost isn't too high and the proceeds are supposed to be earmarked for a good cause: fisheries management. But I like this guy's priorities, too:
Fishing from the jetty at the southern tip of Miami Beach, Claudio Cruz, 60, said he supported the new license, too, on one condition: if it helped the authorities keep drunks and hooligans from where he fished, so as not to distract him from the bikini-clad women doing yoga.

I call that a good use of licensing dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment