Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Year in Provence - Book Review

I picked up Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence at the B. Dalton's closing at Crossroads Mall back in December. I'd tried one of Mayle's before - Chasing Cezanne - and wasn't really impressed but, well, the book was only a couplea bucks and I was interested in what he'd have to say about winemaking. Turns out, he doesn't have a whole lot to say about winemaking and what little he does have to say is somewhat suspect. Not that I know that much. Still.

Anyway, it's not a bad book. It just gets old fairly quick. Yes, yes, moving to Provence is quite an adventure and yes, yes, restoring a house is quite frustrating. The locals are without exception eccentric and, of course, the food is fabulous. Written in a light comic style, it's not intended to be taken seriously and I didn't but I was hoping for something with a little more meat on it. A pleasant way to pass the time but I didn't come away with anything that would make me want to read any more Mayle.

No comments:

Post a Comment