Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rural Client

I had a business client call me around lunch time this past Wednesday wanting to schedule a time to review her QuickBooks accounting; what I had to say was more than what I could do over the phone and with the direly predicted ice and snow storm approaching, it might be a week or more before I could get out their way. So I dropped what I was doing - I was approaching a stopping point in what I was doing anyway - hopped in my Sequoia, and headed out. My firm's not too big just yet where the principal can just come out on a moment's notice; I like being able to do that and I hope my client's notice the difference.

The client wasn't far - about 25 minutes from my office, via Interstate - and I took care of business quickly and she was happy when I was through. I headed back to the office and I was struck as I often am about how easily you can find yourself in a rural setting here in Oklahoma City without having to travel far at all. The business location is just a couple miles south of the airport but looking around you'd think you were out in far west Oklahoma:


(Those clouds are the ragged shreds of the winter storm coming our way.)
Lonely gravel roads. Grain silos. Farm country.


Minutes later, I'm back in suburban Oklahoma City and then running down the Interstate back to the office. Twenty-five minutes later, I'm back in my chair in front of a computer monitor. The swift change of settings is a little disorienting.

I haven't been to a lot of cities but I imagine that Oklahoma City is one of the places where this kind of thing is becoming quite rare. Soon we'll be like all of the other big cities - we've been saying that for years and years and some day it'll be true - but for now, we're not. There are still some things that make us unique. Let's count our blessings before we become just like every other place.

No comments:

Post a Comment