Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sunset Express - Book Review

Even though I'd declared myself finished with the Robert Crais oeuvre, I went ahead and picked up Sunset Express the last time I was at the library, so apparently you can't trust anything I say when it comes to books. But trust me this time: this is the last of the old Crais I'll read. Probably.

Not that it's a bad entry in Crais' Elvis Cole series. It's actually quite good. A sort of a transition novel from his older, more traditional books of the series and his newer, more deeply written books of the series that he's been writing lately. A good enough mystery to keep you going - a highly successful restaurateur is accused of murdering his wife and Cole is hired by the restaurateur's high-profile attorney to help prove him innocent. Twists ensue. Also, Cole's relationship with his girlfriend deepens.

It's all sorted out in the end and we get a nice shootout in the barren hills outside of Los Angeles and it's a good ride all around. Refreshing that the L.A. Police come across looking good and not corrupt like they tend to in Crais' later novels. But there's one detail that nags me throughout these books - in this one, like just about all of them, Cole never seems to collect on his fees. Yet he has a fairly nice office, a very quaint home with a spectacular view - he seems to have no real means of support, other than these unpaid for cases he goes on. Maybe he manages to collect his fees in between his adventures that make it to the books. Sill, I know, to be bothered about this, but in a genre that prides itself on its realistic approach, it's a minor detail that's quite unbelievable.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. But I don't see any reason to pick up any of the earlier stuff. I'll wait until Crais has something new to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment