Saturday, October 24, 2009

Disney World Opened 38 Years Ago

It was 38 years ago, er, yesterday that Disney World opened. Here's an early commercial:



I have no memory of the commercial but I do remember Disney World being a bright, golden destination a kid could hope to some day visit. I think it would only be a few short years after it opened that we'd managed to get there. The tales a cousin told of his first visit were mesmerizing. Don't ask how many times we've been there since. It never gets old.

Oh, and here's something I didn't know: The Christmas Parade down Main Street doesn't actually take place on Christmas Day:
You can pre-register now for tickets to be in the audience for the 2009 Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade taping in the Magic Kingdom. Production is the first weekend of December as it has been in the past, but this year a third day has been added. Concert performances on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage will be filmed on Thursday, Dec. 3 and Friday, Dec. 4. The parade itself will be taped on Saturday, Dec. 5.

Huh. Didn't know I was so naive to think that what I was seeing on Christmas morning was the real thing. Ah, but that's what Disney does, doesn't it: give me a reality that I want but that's not necessarily real. I'm fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment