Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Looking over last year's posts, I see I managed to overlook Thanksgiving. Not this year. Though I made a brief mention of what I think there is to be thankful for - much! - here, I spared the details, didn't I? Let me set things straight and tell you what I'm thankful for:

Family, first and foremost and always. We're blessed with family both near and far that we love dearly and every single one of them have always let us know just how loved we are in return. You can't ask for more than that. Everything else is just icing on the cake. We'll have a few of them over today and we'll enjoy their company but we'll be thinking, too, of the family that's not here.

We won't have quite the same crowd that we usually do. Some of the older relatives have opted to dine out since they're torn between showing up empty-handed and having to cook something. They don't have to cook anything, of course, but you can't convince them of that. They're joining other relatives who have the same idea so good for them. Maybe they'll drop by later. And we likely won't have our nephew Jonah and his family. Being married now means he's got other family obligations. That's the way it goes as we grow older.

So, what's on today's menu? Turkey, of course. Sweet potato casserole. Corn casserole for Emily, broccoli rice casserole for Rachel. Mashed potatoes. Grandma'll bring her dressing and gravy and noodles while Aunt Teri will bring her oriental salad. Hey, did someone remember to bring dessert? I hope so. As if there'll be room for it afterwards.

A special day all around. I hope everyone's is as special as ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment