Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kardashian Says ‘So What’ About Cellulite Flap

If there were ever words I thought I'd never use in a blogpost title, these are them. But Miss Kardashian has a point:
"So what: I have a little cellulite. What curvy girl doesn't!?" the reality star, 28, writes on her blog in response to a brouhaha in which a photo of her for Complex magazine was accidentally released on the Internet before editors realized their mistake and quickly replaced it with the official photo of her.

"How many people do you think are photoshopped? It happens all the time!" she writes, later adding, "I'm proud of my body and my curves and this picture coming out is probably helpful for everyone to see that just because I am on the cover of a magazine doesn't mean I'm perfect."

It's a mistake to think that celebrities who appear on magazine covers aren't enhanced in some way. To borrow a phrase from Lennie on Law and Order, they're all photoshopped. Even when they aren't. (Uh, Lennie's phrase actually had to do with the husband always being the perp when a wife is murdered. It's always the husband, he says, even when it isn't. That's the kind of cynicism you can't help but admire.)

Celebrities are in the business of selling themselves, of selling a fantasy. It's our business not to buy into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment