Monday, March 9, 2009

Political Persecution?

I'm not so suresure but Michael Williams believes he's being selectively audited for his criticism of the Obama administration:
Today I received a letter from the IRS that my 2007 tax returns are being audited. Less than one month after launching TaxCheatStamps.com.

There's a list of "proposed changes" they want to make to my 2007 return that would require me to pay almost $14,000 in taxes, penalties, and interest. All the "discrepancies" they list are bogus and I have documentation to prove it. I keep meticulous records and always pay every cent I owe to Uncle Sam. We're going to talk to a lawyer ASAP.

There is no doubt in my mind that my family is being politically persecuted for making a mockery of our new Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and the Obama administration.

Registering to comment on his site is cumbersome and I can't be bothered but if it were easy to post a comment, here's what I'd say:

Take it easy, Mr. Williams, you're not being selectively audited. In my 19 years with the IRS, the IRS is, and can do, many things but it's hardly the vengeful arm of any administration. From the sound of it, you got a routine letter where the IRS did a match up of documents reported to it with the documents reported on your return. A mis-match came up, thus the letter. Easily resolved. Give me a shout and, if what you say is true, I can easily handle this, gratis, and win.

Certainly this country can use outspoken critics of the Obama, or any, administration, but a cool head in the face of a routine government inquiry would go a long way in finding supporters to your cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment