Saturday, May 2, 2009

It's All Too Much

What's up on the iPod? Well, that's the subject of another post as I mark my way through my playlist alphabetically - I'm in the I's, if you're interested - but what came up the other morning was The Beatles' It's All Too Much, written by George Harrison and it really made my day.

Let's take a look at the lyrics to see why:

It's all too much, It's all too much

When I look into your eyes, your love is there for me
And the more I go inside, the more there is to see

It's all too much for me to take
The love that's shining all around you
Everywhere, it's what you make
For us to take, it's all too much

Floating down the stream of time, of life to life with me
Makes no difference where you are or where you'd like to be

It's all too much for me to take
The love that's shining all around here
All the world's a birthday cake,
So take a piece but not too much

Set me on a silver sun, for I know that I'm free
Show me that I'm everywhere, and get me home for tea

It's all to much for me to see
A love that's shining all around here
The more I am, the less I know
And what I do is all too much

It's all too much for me to take
The love that's shining all around you
Everywhere, it's what you make
For us to take, it's all too much

It's too much.....It's too much

Man, some this is pure hippy-dippy stuff, isn't it? But the line about showing me that I'm everywhere and getting me home for tea really hits me where I live so there's something to take from this.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad in the world: Your job might not be great, you may not have everything you want, you might have loved ones who are sick and dying or who have died, love sometimes fails - there's much in this world to bring us down. But there's a flip side to all of the bad, too, and it's worth keeping in mind and celebrating. We're surrounded by love and lovely things and all we have to do is look for it to find it.

(I was struck by this, too, during The Lion King the other night. The lyric about more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done. Come on, you know the song.)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the Beatles, and the timing of this song with the dawning of the day was just about perfect. Thought you might like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment